building dectalk and orca

What applications and where do I get them for building Dectalk and Orca when I untar the files? I need to know what I need to look for in Ubuntu so I can point out to the person helping me to get Linux up and running with speech or perhaps should I say to help me getting to work more smoothly as I now have some kind of speech but an out of date version of Orca and no speech from Dectalk until I get it installed and built.