no speech in gnopernicus

Hi everybody.

I am new to linux, and have just installed ubuntu and gnome 2.10 on my computer. I have also installed gnopernicus through the synaptic packet manager. However, I am experiencing 2 problems.

First, even though I have gnopernicus set to start every time the computer starts, it never comes up. Secondly, when I have a sighted friend start it for me, there is no speech, even though speech is checked from within preferences.

Sound on the system works fine however, as I can hear the music it plays at log in and shut down.

Is there something I am missing? What do I need to do that would help me get this working?

Thanks,

John