Re: few questions

Hi Norm;

Within Gnome we will need to use the word "profiles" as the technical term for this, as "preferences" are already handled by another mechanism.

Outside of TLAs, 'user profile' may mean something very different. So while I hear your point, I am not sure that the word "profile" is onerous in this context, for the general user.

Bill

Robinson, Norman B - Washington, DC wrote:

Bill,

	One word: Preferences.

	Accessibility is something that is built into products and
services. Accessibility is quality. How the accessibility is used is by
preference.

	User profiles profile the user. They lead to terms and concerns
that self-identify. They lead to terms that indicate the user is being
tracked. If [insert three letter acronym agency here] created a
distribution with user profiles, you'd likely wonder about the term.

	Just wanted to contribute a few years worth of experience in
political correctness, personal arguments, and community preference for
people who don't wish to self-identify. It isn't about being overly
sensitive, it is about respect and eliminating discussions on semantics
when you simply wish to focus on the technical aspects of a solution.

	Warm Regards,

	Norman B. Robinson

	P.S. I thought some feedback on what I view as generally bad vs.
preferred from the below inline message would be of use:
	accessibility "options" vs. preferences
	a wizard or configuration assistant "helps users select" vs. a
configuration assistant to set preferences
	non-accessible users vs. users that cannot access your content
or information
	"Accessibility" section vs. preferences section
	"users don't self-identify as disabled" vs. "users have
preferences"
	"ghettoize" accessibility vs. having user preference by function
(visual, sound, mobility)
	"user profile" capability vs. "user preference" capabilities

	Don't forget that many times the user may want to change their
preferences to simulate the use by a different user's preference
(testing, remote support) or for a temporary disability (forgot glasses,
etc.). It doesn't matter if those users have any particular or no
disability!
	Off topic; as it was mentioned I wanted to comment. By avoiding
two separate dialogs which change the same feature, I think they've set
the wrong mandate. Users should be able to change features or
preferences from multiple interfaces, keyboard, system preferences, user
preferences, applications calling the same panels. The mechanism should
be the same, but it is a bad idea to force simplification for human
factors reasons. Usability doesn't always equate to simplicity. I would
recommend you create a user's preference panel that set and stores
multiple preferences. Then you can create multiple default preferences,
useful in testing and evaluation, based on user needs (profiling what a
user needs in advance could be said to enhance the accessibility of your
product) that can be selected as preferences.