Re: few questions

I wonder what features they are missing?

We already have an 'Accessibility' button in the main keyboard preferences dialog which opens the Keyboard Accessibility Settings dialog, key-repeat is duplicated in the Keyboard Accessibility Settings dialog, and the Keyboard Accessibility Settings "MouseKeys" section includes a button which takes you to the main Mouse Preferences dialog. So we're already pointing these different sections to one another.

One other area where we might want to "point" from one dialog to another concerns the Theme dialog, which currently does not point to the Font dialog.

The problem with creating a 'user profile' system is, again, that users may not think of themselves as falling into a particular category. What, for instance, would we call a group of settings which was intended to assist "older users", i.e. slightly bigger fonts and mouse pointer, different mouse click settings, etc. ? I for one don't really like to suggest that I'm getting older when I set up my laptop <wink>.

Bill

I have a document that I am writing that explains these in much greater detail, but it took me quite a while to comprise all of this.

Configuring Gnome for Hearing Disabilities

Volume
Visual Sound Feedback and Advanced Sound Preferences

Configuring Gnome for Low-Vision or other Sighted Disabilities

Themes
Increasing Font Size
Screen Resolution
Toggle Keys
Mouse Preferences
Terminal Magnification
File Management Settings (zooming)

Configuring Gnome for Mobility Impaired Disabilities

Keyboard
AccessX + Keyboard Accessibility
Keyboard Shortcuts
Mouse
Configuration Editor (again shortcut keys)

Making the Login Accessible
mobility support
Low vision support
Blind user support

Granted the Sun Accessibility documentaiton helped me find a couple of missing pieces. I guess what makes me think people just don't know a lot of this is available is the phrase "What...Linux has accessibility?" That could be a lack of wanting to investigate on their part, but even as a low vision user of Linux, before working on this document a lot of these features I would not have known existed unless I was looking for them.

Maybe we wouldn't have to label the features you talked about as accessibility. I think Microsoft has done a great job with their Accessibility Wizard and design of these features. The first user action simply tries to decide how to make the wizard accessible by making 3 choices with larger and larger font. The wizard hits events that in the control panel are not considered accessibility related, plus accessiible options (i.e Toggle Keys). We can't copy this design obviously but I think they have a good idea on how to handle the situation which you are talking about.