From: "Jason Grieves" <jasongrieves hotmail com>
To: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
Subject: RE: gnopernicus concerns
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:38:38 -0500

Hello,

I am afraid I have not used SuSE before, so someone on this list may be able to help you more. This guide got me started. http://www.gnome.org/learn/access-guide/2.10/ but I am afraid some of it is outdated. The Sun folks have shared they are working on a new one for 2.12, but the full screen magnification section needs some work.

I am afraid the IBM SVDK link has escaped me. The Linux version may not even be free or downloadable anymore. Bill has referenced the Java access bridge which can be found
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/gnome/java-access-bridge.html

What you are doing is linking the java environment to a gnome bridge so gnopernicus can pick up on it. I have tested it on open office and it works well.

using the following command should turn on accessibility in gnome. I am not sure if the path has changed or not and do not have access to my gnome desktop for another week or so...
"gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility -t bool true"

g-edit (had some problems saving with gnopernicus, as it did not read all elements for me), all of the menu's, gnome control panels worked, etc. I know most if not all default gnome desktop applications work with gnopernicus. Again, I do not know what extra applications SuSE throws in (yast for one) but exporting those modules should work for all other accessible GTK applications. Gaim has been mentioned a couple of times, the archive has a lot of great info. You can set your profile to export this variable on startup so you do not have to manually do it.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-accessibility-list/

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

Jason G.
Mathew 11:28-30

hi,
thanx for all the info. I have formatted with SuSE 9.3 Pro last night. Waht is the name of taht free ibm screen reader? Also, thanx for that export command. As far as open office goes, I have tried to open the word processor in gnome but gnopernicus doesn't like it, how did you get this to work. Also, how will I know whether or not I have to export the java or gtk or not. have you gotten it to work with yast, gnome control center, or the k3b burning software. Can you name some aps you have used in gnome you have used and know for sure work? Thanx a million and a half!

Cody