New user

Hi,

Not sure whether this is the right place to ask this - but I am thinking of installing a Speakup modified Linux distribution with Gnome support.  This will probably be Debian, but I am reluctant to use Woody on this moddern machine (AMD64 w/2gb ram).  If I want to go down this road (either with or without Speakup support) using an external synth, what is the best option?  I am fairly used to the command line but not really used the Linux desktop before.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Andrew.