Re: problems using gnopernicus

Hello,

> I'm using gentoo, and currently it
> doesn't have a /etc/init.d/gdm connection; am working on figuring that
> out.

Gentoo has one init script for all the graphical display managers (xdm,
gdm, kdm, etc) which is /etc/init.d/xdm. You can setup which one you
want to use inside /etc/rc.conf. In there, make sure there's a line
like:

  DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"

If you use the Gnome desktop, it would help to set XSESSION in the same
file like this:

  XSESSION="Gnome"

> Also, does anybody know how I can tell in gentoo
> what my default window manager is?

A good idea is to set the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable. For
example:

  WINDOW_MANAGER="/usr/bin/metacity"

(Of course, replace the path according to your WM).

That line can be put in a number of places like /etc/profile, or your
~/.xinitrc.

> I'd still like to know reasons why the braille display can't be
> initialized. I do have my brlapi.key set up.

What version of gnopernicus are you using? Did you enable the `brltty'
USE flag when emerging gnopernicus?

Leonardo B.