Re: AT-SPI, focus leaving and window IDs

Hi.  Some of the things you mention alread happen with my Gnopernicus.

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:06:08AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are several things which should be added to AT-SPI to my mind:
>
> - Focus leaving should be reported as well: else gnopernicus for
>   instance would keep showing the last accessible widget's content while
>   non-accessible windows are active. In that case, gnopernicus would
>   then be able to show it can't access the non-accessible window (maybe
>   at least show its title).

That already happens.  The way I realize I have started an app that
isn't accessable is no speech from Gnopernicus.  Using alt-tab to cycle
through windows will announce the title of the window containing the non
accessable app.  Using this, it's easy to switch back to the window and
close the app using alt-f4.

>   It would also permit to launch several at-spi readers: brltty for
>   instance now has an at-spi driver so as to be able to read xterms. But
>   it needs to know exactly when the focus is on a terminal widget, in
>   order to produce display only when needed.
>
> - It would also be useful to be able to get widgets' X-window ID to
>   better handle focus.

Please explain these last two.  Xterm isn't accessable because it
doesn't use GTK 2.  Gnome-terminal is the only terminal imulator runing
in a GUI that use GTK 2.
X-windows is usually the general name for the GUI on Unix systems.  If
the widget isn't created using a tool kit that supports at-spi, there's
not much that can be done.

          Kenny