Re: gnopernicus on debian running 2.6.8?

Hello Hank,
On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 21:25 -0700, hank smith wrote:
> hello I just installed debian on my laptop dule boot with windows xp

Well, I am not specifically a Debian user, but most of this is about the
same across all Linux distros.

> I got gnome installed xwindows and gnopernicus but it don't speak
> has any one else ran in to this?

First, I'd like to know if you ran the test-speech utility that ships
with gnome-speech. This will see if gnome-speech is properly making
contact with festival. If so the issue is gnopernicus and not the
driver. If not the issue is with the driver.
In one case I do remember installing gnopernicus and speech was turned
off in gnopernicus  by default.  Which required me to go in and check
the speech support checkbox.

> how did you resolve it?

Well, it really can depend on what the problem is. Do you have the
latest festival packages installed. Does test-speech work? Are you
getting any error messages when gnopernicus starts?
All of those things would help me diagnose the problem.   So try that
first, and then tell us what you get.

> II am finding gnopernicus thus far a pain in the ars to get running
> have tried it with fc4 and debian with no luck.

Fortunately, knock on wood, I haven't had that problem. I've just
dropped in the rpms, and was off except in the one case where g
gnopernicus kept unchecking the speech checkbox. Check that option out
under the startup button on gnopernicus.