Keyboard/mouse emulator for Linux

Is there a keyboard/mouse emulator for Linux?

The son of one of my co-workers has Cerebral Palsy and cannot manage a mouse or keyboard. He's a smart high school kid and really needs a computer to communicate. His father tried a demo of EZ Keys (www.words-plus.com) that allowed the kid to pick letters using a simple on/off switch through the serial port. It worked but it's just a demo.

Unfortunately they're not made of money and the basic program costs $695. In fact, they've abandoned the MS platform and are completely in Linux now: OS, apps, browser, etc. The missing part is a Linux program that will allow the son to pick out letters.

I have not tried the EZ Key program and do not know if it also includes the ability to execute commands but I assume so.

Any info or pointers to a program if it exists would be greatly appreciated.