Re: SUSE 9.3 professional and Gnopernicus

Hi,
See answers below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darragh" <lists digitaldarragh com>
To: <gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 8:07 AM
Subject: SUSE 9.3 professional and Gnopernicus

> i've just been offered a job that requires that I use Suse 9.3 on a daily
> basis.  I'll have to be able to install configure and use it independantly
> with either speech or Braille support.

If you can get your employer to go for it I strongly recommend upgrading
from Suse 9.3 to Suse 10. Suse 10 has Gnome 2.10, Gnopernicus 0.10,  Open
Office 2, and is far more accessible than 9.3. Although, 9.3 can be used.

 Does Gnopernicus come installed with
> Suse 9.3?

Yes, Suse comes with Gnopernicus. Although, Suse 9.3 comes with a slightly
older version of gnopernicus which you may wish to update.

 Do the brail drivers installed with it support the PacMate 40 cell
> display?

No, you will probably have to compile brltty support in to gnopernicus to
probably get that kind of braille display support.

  Finally, is it possible to install Suse independantly with either
> speech or Braille?

I do remember there was a way to use brltty to install Suse by yourself
without sighted assistance. So I do think it is possible to install Suse
with braille.

> I'm starting this job on the 1st of August and I'm hoping praying wishing
> and everything else possible that accessibility won't get in my way.

Well, having an idea of what you need will help us gear our answers to help
you as est we can. In general if the application is written with GTK2, Java
Swing, it is largely accessible. Some KDE 3.4 apps are also becoming
accessible.
Also most text based shell apps are accessible using brltty, yasr, speakup,
etc so in general Suse is accessible but there are several apps that still
aren't accessible as well.