reading mail in evolution

Since my Gnopernicus has become more stable lately, I decided to try
evolution.  I got through the setup screens with no real problems.  Now,
I have mail in my inbox, but can't find any way to read it.  What is the
secret to reading a message in evolution?  When I tab around, I here
several buttons, a combo box, a "single line text" field, a scrole
pain, a table of mail boxes and a "tree table".  The inbox has 214
messages, so I know I have mail to read, just can't figure out how to
read it.
I did manage to send a test message, so some things do work.
I'm using Gnopernicus 0.9.19 and Gnome 2.8 on Debian unstable.

Thanks in advance for any help.
          Kenny