More on Gnopernicus

Hello,

Thanks for this message about documentation and training!!! I've been playing with my new Linux machine for a couple of days now getting it to work, or not work, as the case may be.<smile> I am a student at ITT Tech here in Albuquerque New Mexico where I'm studying computer networking, servers, routers, Windows, and Linux. My classmates are using graphical Linux, Gnome, and text based Linux. I have grown extremely frustrated with Speakup and Linux because I have having a problem either with Linux or the Decktalk driver that means Linux will boot up talking only once, after each time I have to reboot, I get no more speech accept for a "flush timeout" error. I looked everywhere to find a solution. No one could help me since no one knows about access technology. Normally, since I've used Windows so long, since the early 90's, I can find the solutions myself, post on email lists, or contact technical support and use keyboard shortcuts. However, I am so far behind on my Linux assignments that I thought I had to do something to fix the problem. I am using Speakup with the Decktalk USB hardware synthesizer with Fedora because the kernel with Speakup was already compiled and so I wouldn't have to take on that task until I learned how to compile a kernel.<smile> As I've already said, things worked fine until I started getting this "flush timeout" message. A google search on this error made me think it's either a setting that needs to be changed on the serial port, a problem with the decktalk driver for Linux, or some other problem I'm unaware of. I use the Decktalk on my Windows machine with JAWS perfectly, so I figured if something was wrong with the Decktalk USB itself, then I would not be able to use it with Fedora or Redhat. To clarify, the Decktalk USB has a serial and a USB port. It will take the Decktalk Express driver, which at school is set up on comm1.

I don't know if reinstalling Fedora/Speakup will fix the problem I was having. However, I love to experiment with new technology, and I wanted to experience graphical Linux and text based Linux. However, right now, I'm stuck. I need to be able to set up a network and configure servers and routers, and right now, neither Gnopernicus or Speakup is helping me to accomplish this task. I purchased a computer from a company who custom-installed a Linux system for me that has a dual boot of Ubantu Debian Linux, which works fairly well with Gnopernicus, and Redhat Enterprise Linux, that I need for school because that's what they use there. Redhat doesn't seem to "speak" as well as the Ubantu Debian does. Perhaps Redhat isn't using Gnome 2.8 yet?

Finally, I would be happy to help write, edit, or otherwise help with the Gnopernicus documentation and training, as soon as I figure out how to use it, that is.<smile>

Sorry for the length of this message, I hope my tale of woe doesn't annoy anyone too much.<smile> However, any help you could provide would be most appreciated!!

Thanks,

Beth