Re: Web browsing using speech software

Hi.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 03:17:18AM +0000, Craig March wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I apologise for the long post.
>
> I'm a lurker of the mailing list due to my interest in accessibility. Although
> I don't use GNOME (a KDE user), I am still interested in the discussions that
> take place on this list, and to be honest, GNOME accessibility seems to be
> ahead of KDE in terms of users, development and support.

I haven't tryed KDE, but I'm always running a Gnome session now days.  I
have switch to using Gnome for all my multi media playback.  Totem is
accessible and can play any format I want.
Unfortunately, Gnome accessibility still has some problems so I also use
the text console for most of my daily tasks.

> As I understand it, there are some people on the list who use Gnopernicus for
> accessibility, either speech or braille. My question for those who use the
> speech engines is what browser do you use for internet use (if this is
> possible) and if so, how well does the software work.

Although Mozilla accessibility is improving, I still use elinks or lynx
in a text console for my web access.  I use speakup as my console screen
reader and (usually) a DECtalk express for my speech synth.

Text browsers like elinks are still being developed, so I find I'm
slowly gaining web access as elinks adds support for things like CSS and
ecmascript.  The lack of a "read to end" function in Gnome and Mozilla
makes a console browser a better choice for now.  Since Gnome
accessibility is improving, I'm sure this problem will change soon.

          Kenny