Re: Dectalk USB Parameters

Peter Korn writes:

 > The point I was trying to make is that in an ideal world a serial synthesizer
 > wouldn't be vulnerable to being "killed" by any stream of bytes sent to it.
 > In a separate thread Mario noted that some serial synthesizers support
 > firmware upgrades via the serial port; perhaps that is what happened here (and
 > when I wrote in this thread yesterday, I had forgotten about this feature).

>From subsequent posts it appears this is what happened. The device
manufacturer should make it very difficult to enter this mode however.
For example, according to the documentation of my INKA braille
display, to overwrite the flash memory you have to send out a packet
containing a command, the blocks of data and a check sum, which is not
likely to happen by accident (unless you're debugging braille display
software that uses the INKA packet protocol and transmits spurious
commands, perhaps).