Re: Proposed response to gnopernicus/DecTalk problem

Thanks Dave.

How does brltty ensure that the byte sequence it sends to the probed tty ports is nontoxic to 'unknown' devices? In theory this would seem impossible.

- Bill

Dave Mielke wrote:

[quoted lines by Bill Haneman on 2005/02/15 at 12:17 +0000]

This would mean that Gnopernicus' default braille settings would specify neither serial port nor braille driver (unless, possibly, we used the BrlTTY driver as our default).

I'd recommend using BRLTTY for the default. It's harmless to use it if BRLTTY
isn't running, and, if it is running, braille will be automatically activated
on the right port and for the right kind of display. This would be very useful
for those who are deaf-blind as well as for those who only use braille. It'd
also cover those who don't have a soundcard and/or speakers, those who do have
such things but which are in use by other applications, etc.

The theoretical issue of USB port renumbering for braille-and-speech users is one we will need to explore further - we don't know that this can happen with USB serial devices,

Yes we do, and it does. When you connect a USB to serial adapter, you never
know which ttyUSBn device you're going to get. When you then
disconnect/reconnect it, you could easily get a different one. Because of this,
BRLTTY has already been designed to be immune from this problem.