Re: [g-a-devel] Festival will not work with gnome-speech 0.3.6.

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 06:32:52PM EST, Kenny Hitt wrote:
> Hi.  This isn't any help, but a friend who did an install of Debian
> Sarge last week noticed the same problem.  I'm running Debian unstable
> and festival with no problems.  Both Sarge and unstable are using
> gnome-speech 3.6.  My friend rebuilt the Debian libgnome-speech package,
> and it didn't help his problem.  For now, his solution is to use the
> software DECtalk driver.
> Sarge and unstable both have Gnome 2.8.
> Like you, his Festival works fine from the text console.

Ok. I have just installed a fresh copy of sarge and then upgraded it to
unstable on a spare partition. It seems that the exact same problem
exists there as well. I think you are able to use it properly because
there is something in your configuration somewhere that allows it to
function normally.

I was asked to patch gnome-speech and run festival-synthesis-driver with
test-speech to get some debugging output. This is the key message that I
get, which is why things don't work.

"client(1) Sat Feb 12 16:55:11 2005 : rejected from
localhost.localdomain not in  access list

If your friend was to apply the debug patch that I was sent, and did the
same thing, there is a good chance the same message would appear.

So now I have seen this problem both on Ubuntu Hoary, and Debian
unstable. Suggestions welcome.

Luke