Re: large print cursors

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 10:58 -0500, Jason Grieves wrote:

> >Should be, provided you have an X server that supports the X Cursor
> >extension-- they're not specific to Solaris or GNOME. (Actually the
> >Solaris ones aren't implemented as X cursors because Xsun doesn't  support
> >that extension yet, but any recent version of X.org should.)
> I haven't seen tihs before.  Could you explain further?

The X cursor extension is just an extension to the X server that
supports coloured and animated cursor sets, and the ability to switch
between them on the fly.  As such it's not strictly required just to
have bigger cursors, although it does save you having to log out after a
change (which you currently still have to do on Solaris).

> In Ubuntu I go to Preferences > Mouse, and there is only the default mouse
> cursor.  Are you changing them in xorg.conf?  Is it possible to make them
> appear in the gui as I saw on some Sun documentation?

I see the Red Glass and White Glass cursor themes in that tab, in four
different sizes each.  It looks like you need to install the
xcursor-themes package, if it's available for your version of Ubuntu.
Synaptic is also listing a big-cursor package for me-- I don't have that
installed, but it looks like it's supposed to install some large print
cursors too.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group