Re: Esd conflicts with gnome-speech?

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 07:27:53PM EST, Aditya Pandey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been observing that when esd (enlightened sound daemon) conflicts
> with gnome-speech on my Red Hat Linux 9.
> Does it happen at all versions of linux or is it that I am using a back
> dated version (0.3.0 of gnome-speech).
>
> Please note that I dont use the full fledged Gnopernicus right away (which
> might have done something to avoid esd).

It isn't GNOME speech that interfears with esd, but the software
synthesizer that you are using. If you are using Festival, it is
possible to make Festival cooperate with esd, however speech cannot be
shut up when you need it to, and the speech overlaps, due to a bad
buffering/festival esd client access problem. I am only guessing as to
what the problem is exactly.

I would suggest turning off system sounds in GNOME, thereby preventing
esd from loading. It will save you more headaches in the future.

Luke