Re: Debian specific accessibility issues

Jason:

You are correct that GNOME code has a review process whereby patches are accepted into cvs. Of course several GNOME accessibility folks have cvs commit access already - the basic structure is that each GNOME 'module' in cvs has one (or preferably more) "maintainer" who is responsible for the module. I am currently the maintainer of most GNOME cvs accessibility modules, but not gnopernicus or orca.

We already have patches for the bugs I mentioned below, stored in the gnome bugzilla bug tracking system. However, it's up to the maintainer of the relevant module to review the patches and either approve them for committal by the submitter, or to apply them directly to cvs. If the maintainer does not review these patches in a timely manner, or objects to them, then they do not get applied. A similar process applies to Mozilla, and as you probably know, the code review process for Mozilla substantially slows the application of the accessibility patches to cvs. However, code review serves an important purpose as you well know.

Any distro maintainer is welcome to review the GNOME Accessibility Buglist which Calum Benson maintains at http://gnome.org/~calum/access-bugs.html, and may wish to apply the patches which are available in bugzilla for many of these bugs, and which are already being applied to Sun's JDS distribution. As a rule I don't think any other distros are doing so yet.

Your other suggestion, which seems to be that accessibility-related GNOME cvs commits, (which in effect means all cvs commits), should be reviewed by accessibility engineers, seems unlikely to gain popular support - for one thing, there aren't enough accessibility engineers to review all the relevant changes, and for another, in general GNOME developers are not accustomed to having their code approved by outside reviewers, i.e. people who aren't official maintainers of their modules. In my opinion a more effective and palatable approach would be for more maintainers and distros to run accessibility regression tests such as those which Sun runs, there are available for public view at http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/sanity-testing/index.html

best regards,

- Bill