festival and gnome-speech

Hello,

I have seen several posts about this issue, but haven't gotten any
resolution.

I installed fedora core 3 and ran yum to update it.

At first gnopernicus festival and my system were fine. Then suddenly,
festival stopped working with gnome-speech.

I have tried the following:

1. festival --tts welcome.txt
   worked fine.
I installed the dectalk software synthesizer version 4.6, and recompiled
gnome-speech from cvs.
I ran test-speech, and both dectalk and festival are listed. I can select
the dectalk server and it will work, but if I select the festival driver,
nothing happens.

How do I get festival to work, or better yet, how do I use gconf-2 to set
gnopernicus to use just the dectalk driver for everything?