Good realistic way to get started with Gnopernicus?

Hi all,
I am a blind tech who is just now getting started with Gnopernicus.  Rather, I am trying to get started.  Though I would consider myself to be a good tech, I am also no programmer.  For the sake of time, I have enlisted the assistance of a sighted colleague to install the base system.  I need to get this solution up and running very soon in hopes that it might provide me with the best possible accessibility to a Java application I must access on my job.

Here's what I have so far.  I have a newly installed Linux box running Fedora Core 2.  It is Speakup modified, but I am not presently using Speakup.  It currently has Gnome 2.6.0 and an old Gnopernicus 0.8.1-02.  I have done a lot of research, but still not confident in how I should proceed.  I believe that what I actually want is Gnome 2.6.1 with Gnopernicus 0.9.9.  Is this correct?  I'm not currently worried about Braille support, but I do need speech.  I understand there are a number of other packages needed, such as Gnome Speech and Festival.  I have some definite questions:

1.
Do updates of this stuff exist in binary RPM format?  If so, please point the way.
2.
Is it better to manually build this stuff?  Please advise.
3.
What are some good resources to get started?

Thanks.