Ubuntu Accessibility

Hi,

I'm a member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team [1]. As you may know, this is a new Debian-based distro that uses Gnome as its primary DE. We have teams for various aspects of the OS (Laptops, Security, Documentation, etc.) and have now set up an Ubuntu Accessibility Team to get some proper focus on that aspect. The first release is now imminent, so our work now will focus on the next release, due out in six months.

We are currently running a rather dated version of Gnopernicus (0.8.4). I've tried compiling a later version, but had problems with braille support and I see now from this list that this is a common issue. I guess I'll just wait for that to stabilise a bit. I'd like to start working on some improved end-user documentation for Gnopernicus, but I should probably wait until I can run a more up-to-date version. The documentation on the gnopernicus website doesn't specify what version that is based on. Does anyone know?

Dasher runs successfully on Ubuntu, but on my test-laptop (Dell Inspiron 8000, 850 MHz) it's quite slowly and seems to consume a lot of resources. Is that normal? Perhaps I should try disabling some of the more advanced features such as context-sensitivity.

Does anyone here have any experience with X-10 home automation on Linux? I know it's slightly off-topic on a list that deals with making computers themselves accessible, but it does pertain to part of the user-group. AFAIK, the X-10 hardware is quite standard and relatively inexpensive comparing with custom-made technical aids. I'm thinking it would be handy to have some Free tools for controlling that hardware easily available on Linux. Any thoughts?

Anyway, just saying 'Hi' for the moment. Feel free to stop by our wiki, and do correct any errors you might find :) I'm sure I'll return here with more questions later.

Best wishes,

   Henrik
[1] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AccessibilityTeam