atk <-> MSAA once more

I'm following up on an issue I raised a few weeks back. I got busy with other things, but would still like to take a crack at bridging between gtk/atk and MSAA to provide a measure of accessibility for gtk apps on win32.

So far I have made a Windows DLL of libgail (though I'm not quite sure what that buys me) and have done some reading on MSAA. I'd be grateful if anyone could check my (still vague) understanding of what has to be done.

From the MS docs, I gather than if Jaws (say) is to read the menus
from a gtk appplication, it proceeds by asking OLEACC to quiz the app. OLEACC sends a WM_GETOBJECT message to the "server" (e.g. the gtk app). The server either returns zero (in which case OLEACC attempts to construct a proxy), or it returns an "Iaccessible object". I'm supposing that if the gtk app returns zero, OLEACC is not going to make much headway trying to construct a proxy, since the app is not composed of standard Windows controls. Therefore (?), the app will have to build and return an Iaccessible object.

I can sort of see from the MS docs how one might go about constructing an Iaccessible object. What I'm very hazy on is how one would hook this up with atk/gail. Or how one would receive and recognize OLEACC's WM_GETOBJECT message in the first place.

Would this involve (something like) creating an intermediary process which would listen for WM_GETOBJECT, and with which one's gtk app would be "registered" in some way. Is this roughly what gail does on gnome (or is it at-spi that does that)?

Sorry for all the questions. It may be that I'm simply out of my depth here, but I'm still keen to try if I can get a better handle on what's required.

Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics
Wake Forest University, NC