Speech enabling GnomePanel

Hi,
I am currently doing a project which will add a speech
enabled interface to the GNOME panel. It will be a
command and control system allowing the user to
control the panel menu/submenus through speech. The
ASR engine that I have decided to use is Sphinx4. In
order to provide its services to GNOME what are the
steps to be takem? I have just read about the AT-SPI,
I want to read more about it. Can anybody give some
direction? Any suggstions will be of great help.
                                              Thanks,
                                          Jaideep.