Re: focussing the desktop [was: Mozilla - like JAWS or like Hal?]

Tom and Esther Ward wrote:
Hi Tom and Esther:

I understand your interest in having a dedicated "hotkey" for focussing the panel. But recall that in GNOME all panels are "equal" so there isn't a notion of a "main panel". Most users only have one panel, so at most, the current Control-Alt-Tab approach requires one keystroke more than a dedicated key. That is, you can get to your panel, assuming you have only one, with "Control-Alt-Tab-Tab". If you have more than one panel, none of them are any more "primary" than the others, so even a dedicated "panel" key would have to cycle between them. And as I said, adding global hotkeys like this doesn't come without cost, there are only so many combinations available.
regards

Bill

I know about how to cycle between the pannel and desktop using
alt+control++tab, but there needs to be a way to get to the main pannel
quickly from anywhere.
Here is an example. A user wwants to  check the current time. It would be
easier to do an alt+control+p to get the main pannel, and tab to the clock.
As it stands now one must cycle through desktop and all pannels to get the
main pannel using alt+control+tab, and then tab around on the main pannel to
find the clock. It is alot more work than is necessary.
I imagine I am like most users in putting launchers for folders, and
applications on the main pannel for easy access, and it would be nice to be
able to reach that pannel quickly from anywhere.

Do you feel that the extra keystroke (Control-Alt-Tab-Tab) required to
reach the next item in the focus chain (i.e. panel or desktop) is a big
issue?  Or were you perhaps misunderstanding the way Control-Alt-Tab
cycles?

I know how alt+control+tab cycles, and it is a great command. the only issue
is there are limits on which item in the chain comes up first.
What I would like to see in 2.8 is the ability to select what item in the
chain I want be it a pannel or the desktop. Perhaps a hot key to go directly
to the main pannel and one for desktop. Another option is a command that
brings up a list of options which one can arrow to and after pressing enter
on the option it will go to that item in the chain.

best regards,

- Bill