Re: viavoice

Hi Alex,

I have found a copy of viavoice floating around and I want to give it a try with gnopernicus. The only problem is there are about 15 files in the viavoice directory. which components do I need? and is there any docs somewhere on setting up gnome-speech with viavoice?

There are older, unsupported copies of ViaVoice available on the Internet for Linux - likely what you found. I forget which files need to be put where to make this work, but be warned even if you make it work, you will likely experience a lot of crashes when using it with Gnopernicus. There are a number of known bugs with that older, unsupported ViaVoice, and Gnopernicus seems to tickle them quite well.

There was an announcement recently that Wizzard Software will be distributing a supported ViaVoice (see http://wizzardsoftware.com/). I don't know what their individual pricing is; I don't beleive it has been announced yet. Another ocommercial ption to consider as well is DECTalk from Fonix (see http://www.fonix.com/page.cfm?name=espeech_dectalk), which also works with Gnopernicus. Finally, the commercial Cepstral Theta engine is supported by gnome-speech (go to http://www.cepstral.com/). One nice thing about Cepstral - you can purchase Solaris versions from their website.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team