Gnome-speech not working

I've built gnome using garnome-6.1. I've set path and environment and now
try and test gnome-speech. It is finding the correct gnome-speech, but when
I enter 1 for festival, the only driver which is currently installed and
working, here's what I get. Note: festival is definately working (installed
from .rpm), because I can type festival and once at its command prompt, type
(SayText "some text") and I hear it just fine.

Here's the output from test-speech:

Select a server: 1
Atempting to activate OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.3.
No server selected.
~#

Any ideas?

-- Rich