Can't run gnome 2.6 as root

Hi list.
I have installed Gnome 2.6 from the Garnome 2.6.1 script on my 2.4
gigahertz Ibm NetVista running Debian Sarge and have run into a strange
problem.
I can run Gnome as an average user with no problems at all, but as soon
as i try running as root i get nowhere. I can't start Gnome and i can't
get no speech from Gnopernicus. The error msg i get, looks something
like: "Gnome-message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_cds: returning -1"
This repeats many times. If i try running Gdm from the garnom directory
i come to the login prompt and get to enter user and password and then
it tells me that my session lasted less than 10 seconds and that it can
depend on either diskspace or something else which i can't remember and
then it throws me out and i can't stop gdm but have to reboot.
I am stumped as to what this could be. I have even tried making a new
root directory but to no avail, the problem persists.
I'd be thankfull for any hints/tips you could have for this.
--
/Krister