Re: I need a computer with a friendly Unix-based user operating system!

Hi Tim,

As Tom & Esther Ward note in their separate reply, accessibility in GNOME is still in development. The GNOME On-screen keyboard is actually pretty mature at this point, and I as a person who is comfortable with cutting-edge stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to use it were I in need of it on a daily basis.

You mention below three things though that give me pause.  You say:

 1. That you want both an on-screen keyboard *and* a screen reader.
    Are you looking to use both of these at the same time?  Perhaps I
    might be able to give you better advice if I understood better the
    nature of your disability and access needs.

 2. Using a Macintosh as the hardware platform.  While Mac OS X is a
    UNIX OS, it doesn't use GNOME.  Enterprising engineers have built
    GNU/Linux and GNOME from source for this hardware platform, but it
    isn't for the faint of heart.  In fact, last week I saw Gnopernicus
    running on a Mac G4 laptop, but without speech working (he wasn't
    able to get that part right).  I do not suggest this combination
    for anyone but a very competent and experienced engineer.

 3. You say you want to use this with "Math Type 4", "Scientific Notebook",
    and other similar software.  The approach we are taking is a departure
    from the typical way accessibility has been done (though it is in fact
    the route that both Microsoft and Apple are taking in their next
    generation accessibility projects): applications must "opt-in" to
    accessibility.  Unless the software you are using does this, it won't
    work with the screen reader and most of the functionality of the on-screen
    keyboard won't work.  We've done much of the "opting-in" work already
    for the GTK+2 and Java/Swing graphical libraries (and the engineer I
    mentioned in #2 above is doing that work for KDE/Qt), so applications
    written using those libraries have a good chance of working.  But
    I don't believe that "Math Type 4" and "Scientific Notebook" are such
    applications.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team

ELLIOTT, TIMOTHY wrote:
Dear Sir My name is Tim Elliott. I am a third year student with
disabilities,attending the University of Michigan Flint majoring in
computer science. Michigan Rehabilitation Services(MRS) ( they are a
federal and state agency) purchased a Ultra Laptop Computer.
Model#N30W-14 with 500mgh and 128 megabytes of memory with 6 gigabytes
of hard drive space, four years ago for me to use. U of M is changing
over to a Unix-based operating system using iMac G4 computers. I am
requesting MRS to purchase me an Apple G4 Powerbook with Mac OS X
which is an Unix-based operating system. This computer would enable me
to run assistive software an on screen keyboard, screen reading, Math
Type 4, Scientific Notebook or similar software of these types., but
before they will purchase the computer , they need to find out if they
can download an Unix-based operating system off the Internet like
Linux and install on my laptop. They have spent 7 months in trying to
do this to no avail. What I want to know is, is this a practical
solution? Even if they find one on the Internet, would it run the
software I previously mentioned?

Please communicate with me asap because I need a computer with an user
friendly, Unix-based operating system by fall, when I go back to
school.

Sincerely Tim W Elliott