Re: progress of Gnopernicus

Hi, David:

I'm sure the ideal solution is to get Bugzilla fixed. But, until then, I
don't see how else to encourage issue reports from real users. It would
certainly also make it possible to ask for more information, and I
expect people would respond to that knowing their experiences were being
turned into real bug reports. And, it would be a good PR move to post
the bug number back to the mailing list.

David Bolter writes:
> From: David Bolter <david bolter utoronto ca>
>
> Janina, I think the informal bug reports often due end up as bugzilla
> reports (by the module maintainers), but you raise an interesting idea.
>  To have such a volunteer would be great!  If they don't follow through
> then they are relieved of duty by someone else I guess.
>
> cheers,
>
> David Bolter
> Janina Sajka wrote:
> >Thanks, Bill, for the clear statement about where things are with
> >Gnopernicus.
> >
> >I'm a tad confused, though. When you write:
> >
> >"Perhaps those on the list who are able to use bugzilla fairly
> >effectively can post a textual bug form so that we can integrate bug
> >information from those without good access to bugzilla," what exactly
> >are you suggesting?
> >
> >It seems to me fundamentally important to accept informal reports via
> >the list if you really mean to collect user experiences and learn what
> >actual users care about. Of course, there would nothing wrong with
> >providing a simple form (in ASCII) for  users to fill out and post.
> >
> >I understand the tremendous value of a tool like Bugzilla, and I would
> >certainly not expect that any postings on the list can actually
> >substitute for such a tool. It would still be necessary for someone to
> >take those postings and turn them into actual submissions via Bugzilla.
> >But, who's going to step up and volunteer? And if someone does, how can
> >we be assured that they'll actually follow through? The best intentions
> >in the world will often fall victim to other commitments. No, I think it
> >needs to be somebody's job to do that. It's unfortunate--but then one
> >can't blame users for the problems with Bugzilla.
> >
> >Thoughts?
> >
> >Bill Haneman writes:
> >
> >>From: Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM>
> >>
> >>Hi Kenny, and all.
> >>
> >>We know there are problems with gnopernicus - but that doesn't mean we
> >>know what they all are, or which ones are the most important to users.
> >>Also, not all bugs are present in the versions that we (gnopernicus and
> >>accessibility teams) are testing.
> >>
> >>Bear in mind that gnopernicus hasn't actually ever "officially released"
> >>a version - you are using software that's under active development, on
> >>an unstable branch.  So it's really a very different situation from
> >>commercial offerings with supported releases - we're just not there
> >>yet.  But we really need good quality feedback from early adopters and
> >>testers like yourself - and that's the very important role you are
> >>playing now.
> >>
> >>When you build software from CVS HEAD, particularly when you are on an
> >>"unstable branch" of GNOME, things do break, sometimes badly.  If you
> >>want software that's stable, you'll need to stick to stable branches.
> >>However, at the moment the previous 'stable' branch of GNOME and
> >>gnopernicus are substantially less that what you'd need to get work done
> [...]

Janina Sajka
Email: janina rednote net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group