Re: Proposed patch for speech problems

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 16:28, Dana Ormenisan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I applied Remus' patch to gnopernicus 0.9.7 .I also put both Festival
> and FreeTTS servers in usr/lib/bonobo/servers.
>
> With both files there and without the patch, when the speech was enable
> I saw the messages:
> (srcore:7815): gnopernicus-WARNING **: Unable to register the callback
>
> (srcore:7815): gnopernicus-WARNING **: Unable to find parameter
>
> (srcore:7815): gnopernicus-WARNING **: Unable to find parameter
>
> (srcore:7815): gnopernicus-WARNING **: You are using at least one voice
> witout markers gnopernicus-Message: speech initialization succeded
>
> which is an indication that a voice without callback was registered.
>

> After I applied the patch, these messages was no longer sent at speech
> initialization, but they are replaced with:

Messages above had gone because gnopernicus has a "default" voice, and that
voice if _always_ created using _first_ activated driver and _first_ voice
from that driver.
When messages are displayed, then festival server is activated, it has voices,
and gnopernicus succeds to _create_ a speaker, even if festival binary is
_not_ installed (as on JDS builds).

Sometimes, festival server cannot be activated, in which case a message "erver
activation failed" is displayed. In this case, the "default" voice will be
created using freetts driver.

As it is _known_, festival doesn't have markers and freetts does.

As a conclusion, ALL NEW messages are NOT introduced by the new patch. This is
a _normal(!?!)_ behaviour because gnome-speech _always_ reports festival
server, but its initialization fails if festival binary is not installed
(this failure seems to not be present in build 16 as bug 150048 is saying).

Remus