Re: Annoucing libbraille

Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM> writes:

> Mario said about BrlAPI licensing:
>> BRLTTY's BrlAPI is also distributed under the terms of the LGPL, at
>> least all the code required for
>> the client side library is LGPL.
>
> Mario, that's really great news; we've been waiting to hear this for a long time.
> Can you please point us to the documentation or the place in the source tree where
> the LGPL license is referenced?

I quote from the toplevel README of the subversion source tree:

"BRLTTY is placed under the terms of the GNU General Public License [GPL] as
published by the Free Software Foundation; see the file COPYING for details.
Version 2 (or any later version) of the GPL may be used when redistributing
and/or modifying this software. This statement applies to all the files
contained within this directory structure except for those explicitly listed in
the next paragraph as a special exception has been made regarding those files
which are part of the client side of BRLTTY's API.

A special exception has been made for those files which are part of the client
side of BRLTTY's API, BrlAPI. They are placed under the terms of the GNU Lesser
General Public License [LGPL] as published by the Free Software Foundation; see
the file COPYING-API for details. Version 2.1 (or any later version) of the
LGPL may be used when redistributing and/or modifying these files. The files
covered by this special exception are:

   Programs/api.h.in
   Programs/api_client.h
   Programs/api_common.h
   Programs/api_common.c
   Programs/brldefs.h
   Drivers/VisioBraille/brldefs-vs.h"

> I checked the website and downloaded version 3.5 (tar.gz) and all I
> saw were references to GPL, none to LGPL.

We are currently at 3.6pre1, which is not yet released as a tarball I am
afraid.  That wouldn't be too complicated to get done tough, if you think
it would help to have a tarball with the license change available immediately.

--
CYa,
  Mario