Re: problems starting gnopernicus

Cheryl:

If you can find any examples that indicate that the assistive technology support key for GNOME, aka the "accessibility" key, is in /apps, please send the links to me. They are incorrect; the key lives only in

/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility

The session-manual approach has been deprecated in GNOME for about a year. If you are running GNOME 2.4 or later, there is a gconf key which controls which assistive technologies are launched at startup time:

/desktop/gnome/accessibility/startup/exec_ats

This key is a "list" of values of type string, thus from the command line you can set this key this way:

gconftool-2 -t list --list-type=string -s \ /desktop/gnome/accessibility/startup/exec_ats [gnopernicus]

(note the '\' backslash character: you should enter this whole command on one line).

I doubt that this will have a direct impact on the problem you are reporting, but I wanted to clear up any confusion about the currently recommended way of starting your assistive technologies in GNOME. Previous methods involving .xinitrc or session-manual were just temporary hacks that predate the inclusion of the assistive technologies in the "core" GNOME desktop, which happenned with release 2.4 of GNOME.

best regards,

Bill

There also seems to be some confusion as to whether the accessibility key starts with /desktop or with /apps; I have examples that show it both ways.
1. what could be the problem?
2. Is there any place one can find current samples of what should go in one's .xinitrc and .gnome2/session-manual. I have two examples here: one from the brltty documentation and one that I was given--I think it came off of a website that is no longer running--and I'm wondering if there have been changes.