Re: Continuing Gnome Woes

Hi.  I never got garnome to build, so I can't help with garnome.
I use the Gnome 2.6 available in Debian unstable and Gentoo ~x86.
When you lost speech, did the computer running gnopernicus beep?
If so, then gnopernicus crashed.  Even if you didn't hear the beep, it
sounds like gnopernicus crashed and left the gnome-speech
processes running.  Even when I end a Gnome session normally I have to use
bonobo-slay to kill off the gnome-speech processes.  The next time you
loose speech, try pressing alt-f2 and typing srcore <enter>.  Speech
should return until the next crash.
The help buttons in Gnome haven't provided anything useful since I
started trying to use Gnome 2.2 early last year.
There is a bug filed about not having access to the help system, but it
isn't considered high priority by the developers.  I justsearched
bugzilla.gnome.org and can't find the bug report now.  Guess someone
should file it again.

I can get some feedback from Mozilla, but still nothing useful.
Strangely enough, I can get better access to a web page using lynx
in a gnome terminal.  Of course, I don't get as much access to lynx
with Gnopernicus as I do running lynx in a text console with speakup
or yasr.  If you need access to Mozilla in Linux, Freedombox is
a working solution.  It is a stand alone app, so you will only get
access to Mozilla.  They are a commercial company with a yearly
subscription fee for their service.  To learn more, go to

http://www.freedombox.info

Are you asking how to start Gnome on a regular basis or how to start
Gnome for the first time?  Once I have it set up, I start Gnome on
my Debian box by logging in from gdm.  I start Gnome on my Gentoo box
using startx from a text console.  I don't know how you are supposed
to start Gnome for the first time now because the procedure seems to
have changed during the last year.  Usually I start a Gnome session for
the first time with no feedback.  I press alt-f2 and type gnopernicus
<enter>.  The system will tell you to enable accessibility.  The
speech is verry fast, so you will need to use the tab key to switch
buttons until you can figure out which one you are selecting.  Once you
select yes to enable accessibility, you will be asked to close the session.
You have to restart the session for the settings to take effect.
When you start the Gnome session for the second time, you will have to
start Gnopernicus to get speech.  I have a session-manual file in my
~/.gnome2 directory to have Gnopernicus start automatically.
If you have a hardware synth on com1 don't select the enable screen reader
option in the accessibility menu.  If you do, Gnopernicus will trash
your synth.  It appears that option will start Gnopernicus with options
for a braille display from the same people who write Gnopernicus on com1.
It will do this even if you have already configured Gnopernicus for
no braille.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny