Re: GOK : I'd like to contribute.

 --- David Bolter <david bolter utoronto ca> a écrit :

> Michel,
> Welcome.
>
> I'd like to introduce you to Steven (srbaker pobox com) who has, as I
> understand it, already deployed GOK on kiosks.  He might be a good
> resource.  Steven, I hope you don't mind.

Thanks, Hi Steven.

> Michel, I'll also comment below:
(...)
> > - allow GOK to handle every kind of chars, including asian or
> arabic
> > like symbols (display them & type them),
>
> GOK is localizable and has been translated into other languages.
> Please
> see http://www.gok.ca/shots.html for some evidence of this.

Do you mean I have to set GNOME's localization to see Gok localized ?
If so, it's not good for me / I'll have to tweak it a bit.

On the kiosk, I'll have to allow users to enter chars of different
localizations without allowing them to tweak any GNOME setting.

Is this possible ?

> > - allow GOK to "type" several chars at once (at one single key
> > activation) Exemple : a key with "http://"; on it would type
> "http://";
> > in the appropriate field.
>
> This is a current feature.

I've tried to edit a *.kbd file, ant set it up, but it does not work
(no reaction of the key).

<GOK:key left="0" right="1" top="0" bottom="1" type="normal"
fontsizegroup="1">
 <GOK:label>http://</GOK:label>
 <GOK:label modifier="shift">http://</GOK:label>
 <GOK:output type="keysym">http://</GOK:output>
</GOK:key>

Where can I find the DTD or Schema or doc for that XML file, so I could
see where the elements described ?

I'm not able to use the keyboard editor : it "does nothing". I can just
load an existing keyboard, that's all.

(...)
> > - allow GOK to "type" special chars like '@', french chars,... (I
> was
> > not successful with that for now :-(
> >

> This should be working... What version of gok are you using?
> "gok --version"

It's not :-(... Or I'm unable to do it properly.
I'm using gok 0.7.1 from the FC1 Linux...

(...)
> Our documentation is lacking in this respect, but I'd be happy to
> talk
> further about this.
(...)
> > - Who could help me in :
> >  1) Getting familiar with GOK code and teach me the basics of
> > developing GOK, its dependencies, its architecture and philosophy,
>
> I'm happy to help.  Bill H, is comaintainer and is often able to help
> even though he is really busy.

Thanks.
First, I really need to be able to build the latest Gok version.
But I get dependencies errors (I'm using FC1 Linux).

I have two questions regarding this :

1) What is the best way to upgrade my packages and install the required
libs ? (I've try to go through RPMs, but I get more and more
dependecies to solve and it's quickly becoming a nightmare...)

2) Perhaps with 'yum' but to which repository to point ? / Or you could
send me the files ?

Last lines of output of the ./configure script :

(...) (everythink OK until:)
checking for 	libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.0.0 	cspi-1.0 >= 1.3.4    	libspi-1.0
>= 1.3.4  	libbonobo-2.0 >= 2.0.0  	atk >= 1.3.0            	gtk+-2.0
>= 2.3.1       	gail                    	libwnck-1.0
esound...

Package cspi-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `cspi-1.0.pc'

No package 'cspi-1.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (	libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.0.0
cspi-1.0 >= 1.3.4    	libspi-1.0 >= 1.3.4  	libbonobo-2.0 >= 2.0.0
atk >= 1.3.0            	gtk+-2.0 >= 2.3.1       	gail
  	libwnck-1.0             	esound) not met; consider adjusting the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a
nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

(...)
> cheers,
>
> David Bolter
> GOK maintainer

Thanks, and : I really just need to get started the proper way ;-)

cheers,
Michel.

--
Michel Szybist