Re: [g-a-devel]Re: Why Can't I use BRLTTY With Gnopernicus

"John J. Boyer" <director chpi org> writes:

> The thing that is causing me trouble is that keyboard emulation no longer
> works. It did right after you wrote ttybrl.c . I could
> pressd the down arrow key combination on my braille keyboard and Gnome
> would do a down-arrow. If I was in a text box I could type a character on
> the braille keyboard and it would appear on the screen. looking at the
> source code for ttybrl.c I can see that it is trying to send keycodes that
> have not been mapped somewhere. However, they are not getting a response.
> My gues now is that something has changed in Gnome and the keycodes need
> to be encoded differently. I have already informed Dave Mielke of this
> problem.

Now I start to understand what you are refering too.  And you are
actually right, something changed with the way how BRLTTY behaves:

Keyboard emulation is implemented in BRLTTY directly by opening
the current virtual console, and inserting a certain keycombination. I
was actually very supprised to see that it worked in combination with
X, since the vc opened and inserted into is in that case the X console, and
not a standard text console.
At that time, libbrlapi was not forwarding keyboard emulation keypresses to
gnopernicus, rather brltty was just trying to do its magic, and succeeded.
Later on, we decided that BRLTTY should forward a lot more keypresses
to its clients, rather than trying to perform some obscure thing which
is by no means guaranteed to do the right thing.  Previsouly for instance,
BRLTTY was not forwaring keypresses like CR_DESCCHAR and friends to its clients,
which it could not provide any meaningful default behaviour for by itself
anyway.

So, what you are seeing is that BRLTTY no longer tries to do keyboard emulation
on the X console directly, rather it sends a keypress to Gnopernicus.
However, Gnopernicus has no fascilities for keyboard emulation via
Braille input yet as far as I can see, so we can not really map those
keypresses to anything meaningful yet.

As a short-term solution, you could insert a call to brlapi_ignore into the
ttybrl.c initialisation function to tell brltty to no longer forward a certain
keycode-range to Gnopernicus.
This way, you would get the old behaviour.  Note however, that
this was IMHO really a feature by accident, it shouldn't be done the
way it worked.  For instance, since BRLTTY relies on its currently
defined translation table to figure out which braille key combinations
are which character, it would behave in a completely broken way whenever
Gnopernicus has a different translation table loaded than brltty has.
If you want to see proper Braille keyboard emulation, we will have
to work on getting this into Gnopernicus first.  I do know that the
BAUM Vario 80 has the equivalent of a Braille keyboard on it, but I am
not sure if this is implemented in the Gnopernicus driver yet.