screen resolution problem fixed, but another question

Hi all. The subject line says it all...I ended up fixing the screen
resolution problem. Turns out that the Xserver was using the framebuffer
device as its display instead of i810, which it should have been using.
However, I do have one question. Is there any way Gnome/other applications
can use Alsa for audio output? I was trying out the Gnome-games and I
noticed that they could not output anything through /dev/audio. Also when
I tried opening the volume control and it said it couldn't open
/dev/mixer. Do I perhaps need Esound? Or can I somehow configure Gnome to
use /dev/audio for audio output? Thanks!