Re: Best / Easiest way to build gnome 2.4

Hiya. I've been through just that in the last 4 months... Its very
confusing, so I'll try and help the best I can.

Use jhbuild. Its easy and handles all dependency issues for you. It also
downloads and builds the necissary build tools (like automake and such). The
versions pre-installed with RedHat9 may or may not be the ones needed to
build gnome. The catch here is that they get installed into the prefix you
specify in the .jhbuildrc file (see the jhbuild readme included below). This
is fine, but it also means that you have to make sure your system PATH
environment variable includes prefix/bin/ so the tools can be found. The
other approach is to have jhbuild download the tools for you and then you
build and install them wherever you want (I did this and installed them all
in /usr/local/bin).

You also need to make sure the environment variables LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
PKG_CONFIG_PATH are set to the prefix you use in .jhbuildrc (see below). You
can see my envoronment settings and the jhbuildrc file I used by going to
http://barajas.mit.edu/jhbuild/ - pick up the source and view the jhbuild
readMe there too! You'll need python-2 installed for jhbuild to work, but I
believe redHat9 has this already (if not, its probably an easily findable
.rpm on the redHat site).  The readMe file for jhbuild will be displayed
when you visit the page above.

For background reading on compiling gnome, check out
http://www.gnome.org/~chema/gnome-love/compiling_faq.html
Its disclaimer is that its slightly out of date (don't think it even
mentions jhbuild), but it'll help you get a grasp on how some of this stuff
fits together.

Hopefully this will get you cookin. Let me know how this goes.

                    Rich Caloggero
                    MIT Adaptive Tech. for Info. and Computing