Re: gnopernicus 0.7

Cheryl Homiak <chomiak chartermi net> writes:

> While I am of course pleased about the announcement of gnome-2.4 and its
> inclusion of gnopernicus and gok and increased accessibility, I am
> concerned that it is the 0.7 version of gnopernicus being incorporated. If
> I remember correctly, this was the same version of gnopernicus included in
> garnome, which does not work with brltty.

This is true.  I've sent a patch against the 0.7 sources to
g-a-devel, but I am afraid that I was too late, it seems the
maintainers were already out-of-office, and did not create
a fixed release tarball.
IIRC, Peter suggested mentioning BRLTTY support in
the release notes.  If this went through, we have a potentially
very user-confusing situation.  Not to forget that BRLTTY
support is actually mentioned in the Gnopernicus README IIRC.

> This would mean that a lot of braille users will still be unable to
> participate without making modifications. Am I correct or mistaken
> in this understanding of gnopernicus-0.7. If I am correct, are there
> plans to remedy the problem soon in an official release--I do
> realize that the cvs of gnopernicus does indeed work with brltty.
CVS only works because the files are there.  The tarball only fails
because they are accidentally not included in the DIST process.

If someone with CVS write access, and the ability to put tarballs
on ftp.gnome.org had time, I'd project it might be very easy to fix the problem.

--
CYa,