Two questions

I am running a debian system.  I just installed gnome 2.4 and it appears to have installed correctly (meaning I saw no errors).  However I see nothing in the documentation on gnome.org that tells me how to start it and I don't seem to find any documentation on how to make gnopernicus work with it.  So these are the two questions:

1.  How do I start gnome?
2. How do I get it to come up with gnopernicus running and using my alva braille display?  Please note that while there ia a soundcard on the computer I don't know if it is recognized and it has no speakers and there is no speech wynth on the computer so it is braille only.

Tom