Re: FreeTTS very laggy after install.

At 04:16 PM 23/11/2003, Jacob Schmude wrote:
Hi
Hmm, a slow freetts? That's not odd at all. You're in the same boat as I am regarding freetts. I've got an AMD athlon, 2.13ghz here and freetts takes at least two seconds to speak anything... that's why I use dectalk software instead, costs a bit but works much better. My impression of freetts is that it isn't very fast

I have DECtalk as well, but find that it locks up X a bit, especially when I try and use Mozilla. I wonder though whether that has to do with DECtalk, gnopernicus, gnome-speech, or even ALSA.

in general. If you're looking for something free that works with gnome-speech, try festival, it speaks much more quickly than freetts. However, it doesn't shut up as fast and it doesn't support speech markers--no big deal, since as far as I can tell gnopernicus doesn't even use speech markers yet.

I don't like the quality of the voices in Festival, and it is too clunky to set up :)

The slackware 9.1 packages are of gnome-2.4 and, if you're OK with removing your garnome installation or at least moving it out of your path, I'd go ahead and install them.

I have actually updated garnome with patches, to try and prevent some of the locking up that has been happening. That was why I tried FreeTTS, to see if the locking up was attributed to DECtalk. So GNOME is basically 2.4.1 at the moment, and I might stay with garnome anyway.

It probably won't help with freetts, but it'll sure help make your gnome-2.4 more manageable. If you do install the slackware packages, you'll have to recompile gnome-speech and gnopernicus. I'd advise removing the slackware gnopernicus package, as it is a bit out of date. Remove the gnome-speech package also, since you're just gonna have to recompile it for freetts again anyway if you want to use it.

That I am aware of, but I will try and use the Slackware packages to see if FreeTTS performs any better.

Thanks

Luke