FreeTTS very laggy after install.

Hi all.
I have managed to get gnome-speech built with FreeTTS. I am running GNOME 2.4 built from Garnome. The only problem is that the speech takes at least a second, if not more to speak after I tab around the gnopernicus window and anywhere else in GNOME.

This is quite odd, since I am running Slackware 9.1 with a kernel compiled for Pentium 4, and the computer being a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz with 1GB of RAM. I did add the -march=i686 flag to the garnome build process if that makes any difference. I am using FreeTTS 1.1.2 and j2sdk-1.4.2.

Should I try the packages that come with Slackware instead, and see what happens?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Luke