mozilla 1.5b gives no feedback

Hi all
Well, I finally managed to get mozilla 1.5B compiled and installed correctly, at least I think it is. The good thing is
that it doesn't crash like mozilla 1.4.1 did. However, I don't get much feedback from it. For instance, I can tab around,
but mozilla won't say anything. I know that I'm actually moving, as when I hit enter on a link, I go to the correct page,
but gnopernicus isn't saying anything when I tab. Ditto for caret browsing, I can arrow around but gnopernicus just
doesn't say anything. I don't get any feedback on the braille, either. In case it'll help, the options I passed to
configure were:
--prefix=/usr --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2 --enable-accessibility
Should I pass any other options and recompile, or am I just missing something simple? I also have
export GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1
in my .bash_profile. Is there something else I need to do?