Re: More questions about building Gnopernicus

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:49:58PM -0500, Adam Myrow wrote:
> Well, it would seem that I am missing Bonobo-activation 2.0.  Here's what
> it says:
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for bonobo-activation-2.0 >= 0.9.1 libbonobo-2.0 >= 1.97.0
> ORBit-2.0 >= 2.3.94... Package bonobo-activation-2.0 was not found in the
> pkg-config search
> path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `bonobo-activation-2.0.pc'
> No package 'bonobo-activation-2.0' found
>
> Yet, I have a package called bonobo-activation-2.2.1 that is part of
> Slackware.  Isn't that required for Gnome to run?
>
> The version of Libtool I have is listed like so. ltmain.sh (GNU libtool)
> 1.4.3 (1.922.2.110 2002/10/23 01:39:54)  Is there a comprehensive list of
> what I need and what versions?  I am finding this extremely confusing.

Your libtool version should be fine.

If Slackware are claiming to have a complete GNOME 2.2 installation,
then all the versions should be correct. The precise required versions
vary slightly from package to package. That is precisely why pkg-config
exists -- to make the tests for each package.

Also, you are missing bonobo-activation-2.0, but do you have the other
packages? The pkg-config test bombs out on the first failure, which is
the first on in the above list. So try running the manual test I have in
my previous post ("pkg-config --modversion ...") for each of the other
packages to see if you have them.

> etc/bonobo-activation/
> etc/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-config.xml
> usr/bin/activation-client
> usr/bin/bonobo-activation-empty-server
> usr/bin/bonobo-activation-run-query
> usr/bin/bonobo-slay
> usr/doc/
> usr/doc/bonobo-activation-2.2.1/
> usr/doc/bonobo-activation-2.2.1/AUTHORS
> usr/doc/bonobo-activation-2.2.1/COPYING
> usr/doc/bonobo-activation-2.2.1/NEWS
> usr/doc/bonobo-activation-2.2.1/README
> usr/include/
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/Bonobo_Activation_types.h
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/Bonobo_GenericFactory.h
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/Bonobo_Unknown.h
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-activate.husr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-async.h
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-base-service.h
> usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-id.h

Do you have a file /lib/pkgconfig/bonobo-activation-2.0.pc? That is what
pkg-config is looking for here. Your version of bonobo-activation looks
recent enough (it is version 2.2.1, according to the documentation
directory), but the pkg-config file is not being found. My guess is that
you either do not have any *.pc files (which would be odd), or they are
in a place that pkg-config is not looking.

All of the above files are missing a leading '/'. Are they installed in
/usr/bin/, etc, or under a different prefix? If they are under a
different prefix, you will need to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
variable to the correct prefix (see the manual page for pkg-config for
more information). Also, try running

	pkg-config --debug 2>&1 | grep directory

and look for lines that say "Scanning directory ..." to see where
pkg-config is looking for files. If your *.pc files are not in one of
these directories, go back to playing with the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
environment variable.

In summary: your main problem at the moment is that pkg-config is not
finding the right files. Fix that and you should be on your way. If the
clues I have given here are not enough, post some of the results you
find and we can explore further.

Cheers,
malcolm

--
Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.