Re: Questions about building Gnopernicus

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 06:39:22PM -0500, Adam Myrow wrote:
> Hi.  I just got on this list hoping to get some help with building
> Gnopernicus.  I am quite interested in working with it and seeing what
> state it is in and what still needs doing.  I have been trying to build it
> and am having an awful time getting it to build.
>
> The first question is about supported synthesizers.  As I understand it,
> IBM ViaVoice, Festival, and FreeTTS are supported.  ViaVoice for Linux has
> pretty much been abandoned by IBM and FreeTTS is in JAVA and my computer
> isn't fast enough to use it efficiently.  That leaves Festival.  I have
> heard that Festival does not work well with Gnopernicus.  What
> specifically is the problem with it?  Does it work at all?  What other
> synthesizers are in store for support in the future?  What Braille
> displays will be supported eventually?  Is there any plans to support
> hardware speech synthesizers?
It also supports the software dectalk synth from fonix for $50.  I plan to
go this route once I get things working on my slackware 8.1.

> Well, as for actually building Gnopernicus, I got Festival compiled and it
> is working.  I am using Slackware 9.0 which comes with Gnome 2.2.
gnomje-common is needed if you compile any cvs gnome programs.  You've
discovered that you also need automake-1.4 and libtool-1.4.3.  I installed
these in /usr/local.  The install built a automake-1.4 and aclocal-1.4
scripts.

Actually, I didn't install the slackware gnome-2.2 because I wasn't sure
whether it would work with gnopernicus.  Instead I built the gnome stuff
using the garnome build procedure.  The nice thing about this is that you
can keep all the gnome stuff in one tree such as /opt/garnome or ~/garnome.

Since you already have the slackware version installed, you should install
gnome-speech and gnopernicus in the same location as slackware installs
their gnome.  I hope he doesn't put things in /usr.

> tried to compile the Gnome-speech library and was told that I needed
> something called Gnome-common in order to get it to compile.  There is no
> mention on the Gnopernicus website of this that I could find.  Anyhow, I
> checked out Gnome-common from CVS and in trying to build it, I discovered
> it is expecting automake 1.4.  I have automake 1.7.  It even invokes
> automake as "automake-1.4."  I finally downloaded automake 1.4 and built
> it with "./configure --program-suffix=-1.4."  This created the binaries
> and when I installed them into /usr/local/bin, they came out with names
> like automake-1.4.  This satisfied the autogen.sh for Gnome-common and I
> attempted to build Gnome-common again.  This time, it couldn't find
> libtool.m4.  I got around this by making a symbolic link from
> /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 to /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.  I
> wanted the older automake in /usr/local so it wouldn't overwrite any files
> from version 1.7.  This finally got Gnome-common to build.  I then tried
> to build Gnome-speech and it started complaining about being unable to
> find libraries for gnome-2.0.  Since I have 2.2, it was thinking it
> couldn't find the libraries.  That's as far as I've gotten before getting
> frustrated.
You may need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to point to the gnome
libraries.  There is a go_gnome script floating around which I run before
compiling or runnning gnome.