RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 11:52, mpeseng tin it wrote:

> The options are:
> 1 Start to ship gtk2 mozilla (or phoenix) with major, _not solvable_ usability
> problems (not HIG compliant, not native, ui mess in the mozilla case), but
> accessible.
> 2 Start to ship a mozilla embedder with the usability problems solved and
> with a clear path to add accessibility features (it's not like writing them
> from scratch, we can inherit most of mozilla work).

You omitted option 3, "defer until 2.6".

> No one of these is a regression.

Neither is option 3.  I think it's fine to commit to a plan of action, I
think there is something like consensus that Epiphany or a similar
based-on-gecko-but-GNOME-ui solution is the way forward.

But I do not agree that moving forward on that plan requires doing it in
GNOME 2.4 Desktop.  Why not target 2.6?

My point is that this discussion isn't solely about whether GNOME needs
a (official GNOME) browser; it's about whether Epiphany and GNOME-2.4
are the right browser at the right time.

- Bill

But the first one is short sighted (to