RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Wed, 7 May 2003 Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> > If there are no consequences--doesn't matter that you haven't even
> > considered how you get to accessible because something is better than
> > nothing--then how can we trust, we for whom this is a basic issue
> > determining whether or not we participate.
>
> But we _have_ considered how to make epiphany accessible. I don't think any
> new module will be added to GNOME if we think it will _never_ be accessible.

Exactly.

The only accessible browser at this point is XUL-based mozilla, and we all
agree that we're not going to add that to the desktop. Epiphany is not
currently accessible, but the road to adding a11y support to it is pretty
well known.

Wether we add Epiphany to 2.4 or not matter little to people
requiring an accessible browser, they have to look outside of gnome
in both cases. Adding it does matter to other people though. Its a clear
sign that we have chosen an official webbrowser, which will lead to more
users, more exposure and more new developers. This means more testing,
more bugfixing, more development (maybe even a11y development that
wouldn't otherwise be done).

Delaying this 6 months will hurt the development of our web browser, while
making zero difference for people requiring an accessible browser (except
possibly delay the a11y development of epi).

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish ninja cat burglar moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a sharp-shooting cigar-chomping doctor on her way to prison for
a murder she didn't commit. They fight crime!