RE: FreeTTS with Gnome-Speech Question

I was told (by whom, I forget) that the problem has to do with support
for mono 16 bit versus stereo; the newer sound drivers apparently don't
support 16bit mono.  Apparently the mono stream from festival is getting
split over two channels somehow, which has the effect that each channel
gets every other sample, thus doubling the speed.

There's a workaround for this that basically takes the mono 16bit output
and converts it to stereo on-the-fly (just by duplicating the samples)
but I can't remember who told me about it, nor how to do it.

I believe that there should be a way to configure festival to send
stereo output, which would be another solution.

Does someone on this know more about this, for instance how to
reconfigure festival in this way?  I suppose one possibly useful
consequence of this is that festival voices could be configured to come
out of one stereo channel of the other, which might have some utility.
(Perhaps gnome-speech could export this channel-fade behavior as one of
its properties, for speech engines that support it.)

-Bill