Re: Gnome Performance and Video Driver

John:

I am pretty certain that for the kind of user-noticeable issues you
mention the video driver doesn't come into play.  There are some
performance issues known with gnome-terminal's vte widget, and also with
the interactions between vte, the accessibility infrastructure, and
gnopernicus.  The primary bottlenecks could be in any of those areas.
For what it's worth, the performance with the previous GNOME terminal
widget ("zvt") seemed to be faster so perhaps at least part of the
problem could be addressed in vte or its internal accessibility code.

The at-spi itself can process several thousand calls per second on most
machines, but certain calls or certain ways of using at-spi can be
slower, and depending on the events vte is sending and the way
gnopernicus is tracking them, there could be latencies introduced.

- Bill